Professor Ambos has gained several years of industry experience occupying international management positions in Vietnam, Italy, Paris and New York. He has conducted research with or consulted leading management teams all over the world, including, Astellas, Die Presse, EADS, Eli Lilly, Ford, France Telecom, Helvetia, Hutchison 3G, Honda, Jungheinrich, JPMorgan, L’Oreal, Nike, Pfizer, Porsche, Puma, Roland Berger, Royal Dutch Shell, Rewe Group, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, SAP, Siemens, Solvay, Unilever, Telekom Austria, Volkswagen and Villeroy & Boch. He has won awards both for outstanding teaching and outstanding research. Among the latest two the “Course of the Year” awarded by the Community of European Management Schools and the Academy of Management best paper award in 2013.
His research has been published in journals such as International Business Review, Journal of International Management, Journal of World Business, Long Range Planning, Management International Review, Organization Science, Research Policy and Strategic Management Journal.
He has presented papers and delivered addresses at more than eighty universities and conferences over the last ten years.
Among his most cited publications are:
- Håkanson, L., Ambos, B., Schuster, A., & Leicht-Deobald, U. (2016). The Psychology of Psychic Distance: Antecedents of Asymmetric Perceptions. Journal of World Business, 51(2), 308-318.
- Nell, P. C., Ambos, B. (2013). Parenting Advantage in the MNC: An Embeddedness Perspective on the Value Added by Headquarters. Strategic Management Journal, 34(9):1086–1103.
- Brenner, B., Ambos, B. (2012). A question of legitimacy? A Dynamic Perspective on Multinational Firm Control. Organization Science, 24 (3). 773-795.
- Ambos, B. & Schlegelmilch, B. (2007). Innovation and Control in the Multinational Firm: Political and Contingency Approaches. Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 28, pp. 473-486.
- Ambos, B. (2005). Foreign Direct Investment in Industrial Research and Development: A Study of German MNCs. Research Policy, Vol. 34, No 4, pp. 395-410.